Love Our Neighborhood Day was a success, bringing over 10,000 people to the streets of San Pablo, Oakland. More then 100+ activities and 150+ music performers and 150+ dance performers enlivened Highway 123 for 5 hours of open streets creating a safe zone for all ages to enjoy.
A big thank you to all who came out to help make the vibrant streets of Oakland come alive for Love Our Neighborhood Day. Here are some picture recaps from the June 4th, 2016 event! If you have more, please email them to email@example.com.
Here is a little video recap of Love Our Neighborhood Day:
- Date: 6/4/16
- Where: San Pablo Ave. from Ashby Ave. to Stanford Ave.
- Time: 11am – 4pm
- Event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1162178653822581/
- More information: oaklavia.org
- Map Link: https://goo.gl/CZ41NA
Love Our Neighborhood Day 2016
Streets to close to create a car-free community atmosphere. Fun activities, performances, resources and art provided for free! Come play and support local organizations!
On Saturday June 4th, 2016, Walk Oakland Bike Oakland and locals from the Golden Gate, Southwest Berkeley and Emeryville neighborhoods will be producing our third annual Love Our Neighborhood Day. The event will be open from 11am-4pm.
Love Our Neighborhood Day will happen in the street on San Pablo Avenue from Stanford St. to Ashby St.. All lanes of traffic on San Pablo will be closed to cars during the event. This is a huge occasion for our neighborhood – we’re closing historic state highway 123 for the day to enable shared celebration and reclaiming of urban open spaces.
Activities and Key Partners
Citizen Five Music Stage
Happening at Folger and San Pablo just south of Ashby, local artists from the neighborhood are featured:
- DJ Hercules Records
- Make Jazz
- Lil’ Elephant
- Genius 13 yr. Old solo act
- Supa Knova & Nebi
The Milo Foundation will host pet adoptions.
Mysterious Creatures Art Collective & Gallery
- a live art mural production on their building
- demos and interactive events
- a stage of local artists:
- Drea M.
- Diana Gameros + Brother
- Michael Rufo
- Heather Normandale
- Dashboard Buddhas
Homegrown Acoustic Stage
Featuring Guatam and Dennis D., the Homegrown Acoustic Stage is a relaxing zone of kids games, great food, and acoustic music to relax in the shade.
The Grease Diner
The Grease Diner will be hosting DIY silkscreening.
Oakland Fitness, Cliff Bar and others will be hosting a Games area for all ages.
Berkeley Maynard Academy and Yu Ming School
Berkeley Maynard Academy and Yu Ming School will be collaborating on student projects for the event, hosting events reaching out to the local community.
Riveropolis will return for its second year at Love Our Neighborhood Day – Riveropolis is sculpture and furniture featuring elevated waterways and fantastical landscapes, bringing the magic of running water to schools, museums and public places.
Rock the Bike Center Stage
Rock the Bike Center Stage will return with their pedal-powered music, smoothies and a stellar line-up:
- 11 a.m. Zumba w/ Angie
- 11:40 Ecstatic Dance with DJ Jocelyn aka Liquid Love Drops
- 12:40 Justin Ancheta Single Release “Dark Winter Night” w/ Del Corazon
- 12:50 Bay Balkan Brass
- 2:00 Downs Choir
- 3:00 Bicicletas Por La Paz
Charles Porter Golden Gate Recreation Center
Grand Opening of the Charles Porter Golden Gate Recreation Center: with live activities of basketball, zumba, and a 1:30pm celebration and announcements.
Destiny Arts will produce an all-day stage, including performances by their youth dance groups, DJ entertainment, dance classes, and more.
KALA Art Institute
KALA Art Institute will be hosting several artists in their Print Public program, creating art on the street during the event.
Namaste Pizza at 60th and San Pablo will be hosting local hip hop artists, folk artists, spoken word, dance performances and standup comedy at 60th and San Pablo all day long! A slice of pizza will be given away for those who pose for a photo! Limit 200. Stop by to eat and enjoy!
Here’s the line up:
- 11:00- Opening Hip Hop performance by Vik Gosain
- 11:10 – 11:30 Acoustic Soul by Chris Bryden
- 11:35-11:50 Stand up Comedy by Matt Gubser
- 12:50-12:55 Beatboxing by Gabriel Martinez
- 1:00-1:05 Hip Hop dance by Scott Duong
- 1:10-1:15 Hip Hop performance by Vik Gosain
- 1:20-1:30 Poetry by Marjorie Bartolome
- 1:35-1:45 Hip Hop performance by Cameron Bennett and Lance Jacquet
- 1:50-2:30 Hip Hop for Change
- 2:35-3:00 Open Mic Cypher
- 3:05-3:20 Music Performance by Thanh Tran
- 3:25-3:30 Final Hip Hop Performance
- 3:35-4:00 Open Dance floor
Athletic Playground will host all day events of acroyoga and monkey games for all ages at Stanford & San Pablo.
Capoeira and karate demonstrations by Studio Naga, the Capoeira Foundation, Capoeira Mandinga and more!